HOME > Transparency > Vision Mission
HISTORY, MISSION, VISION AND MANDATE
1. BRIEF HISTORY
The Government Arsenal, a civilian line bureau of the department of national defense, is a creation of Republic Act no. 1884 which was enacted into law on June 22, 1957. Construction and installation of equipment started soon after the groundbreaking ceremony at its present site here in Lamao, Limay, Bataan on October 12, 1967. Following the completion and guarantee tests of the manufacturing plants and facilities in 1972, pilot production started in 1973 and by April 1974, the Arsenal had produced its first million rounds of small arms ammunition. Since then, it has continuously supported the small arms ammunition requirements of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, and to some extent, the Philippine National Police. The reliability of the GA’s manufactured small arms ammunition was actually tested during the early stage of its operation in mid- ‘70s when at the height of the AFP’s campaign against the communist New Peoples Army in Central Philippines, the infamous war between the AFP and the Moro separatist group in southern Philippines also broke out. Providing support on two fronts during that time would have been a nightmare to the government forces had it not for the readily ammunition being manufactured by the government arsenal, which supported the government forces until the enemies of the state finally retreated.
The Arsenal mission is to design, manufacture, procure, stockpile and allocate small arms, weapons, ammunition for these weapons government arsenal and other munitions for the AFP, PNP and other government law enforcement agencies; and to sell and export excess products.
The Arsenal vision is to achieve self-sufficiency in ammunition and other munitions for use of AFP, PNP and other government agencies.
The Arsenal’s mandate is to perform the functions provided for under R.A. 1884 and the Administrative Code of 1987, as well as in R.A. 7898, and the Executive Order # 303.
• Under the Administrative Code of 1987, the Arsenal shall be responsible for the following:
1. Establish, operate, maintain and secure the Government Arsenal;
2. Formulate plans and programs to achieve self-sufficiency in small arms, mortar, and other weapons and munitions; The Arsenal’s mandate is to perform the functions provided for under R.A. 1884 and the Administrative Code of 1987, as well as in R.A. 7898, and the Executive Order # 303.
3. Design, develop, manufacture, procure, stockpile and allocate small arms, mortars, and other weapons and munitions without the necessity of obtaining any permits or licenses; and devise ways and means for the efficient mobilization of the civilian industry to augment the production of the government arsenal in times of emergency; and
4. Perform such other functions as may be provided by law.
• Under R.A. 7898, the Arsenal shall be effectively utilized in the production of basic weapons, ammunition and other munitions for the use of the AFP and the PNP, and for the sale and export of products in excess of AFP/PNP requirements. The bureau may use such production facilities as it may own or be provided with under this act or as it may arrange, under joint venture, coproduction or similar arrangements with local and foreign entities.
• While under the Executive Order No. 303 dated March 29, 2004 stated that the AFP, PNP, and other government agencies are hereby directed to source their small arms ammunition and such other munitions requirements as may be available from the Government Arsenal.